Mary Meeker’s 2014 Internet Trends Report – An Annual Must Read
If this is not on your reading list already, it should be. It is insightful, well written, and considered by many as the State of the Union Address for all things Internet.
Here are some highlights:
• Internet user growth has slowed below 10%; smartphone growth is still strong but slowing. But mobile data traffic is accelerating—up 81% year-over-year—thanks to video, where mobile is now 22% of consumption.
• Only 30% of the world’s 5.2 billion mobile users have smartphones—still room for growth.
• There are still more global TV users (5.5 billion) than mobile phone users (5.2 billion).
• 97% of smartphones share OS “made in USA” vs. 5% in pre-iPhone era.
• Mobile advertising is still underperforming vs. time spent on mobile devices, whereas print is still significantly over performing.
• About 5 million Bitcoin wallets exist, up 8 times year-over-year.
• Tinder users “swipe” 800 million times per day, up 21 times year-over-year.
• 66% of U.S. tablet owners are surfing the web while watching TV. 44% are shopping.
• 52% of ESPN’s digital users access only on smartphones and tablets, representing 48% of time spent.
• China’s mobile Internet users now ~80% of total China Internet users. More critical mass for mobile web than anywhere, and leading mobile commerce revolution.
• Six of top 10 Internet properties “made in USA”—down from 9 of top 10 last year—with more than 86% of their users outside America. “China rising fast.”
Read the full report here – http://www.kpcb.com/internet-trends